Announcement | NKOS Application Profile | KOS Registries and Standards | NKOS Workshops | Archived early efforts
NKOS is devoted to the discussion of the functional and data model for enabling knowledge organization systems/services (KOS), such as classification systems, thesauri, gazetteers, and ontologies, as networked interactive information services to support the description and retrieval of diverse information resources through the Internet.
Knowledge Organization Systems/Services (KOS) model the underlying semantic structure of a domain. Embodied as Web-based services, they can facilitate resource discovery and retrieval. They act as semantic road maps and make possible a common orientation by indexers and future users (whether human or machine). -- Douglas Tudhope, Traugott Koch (2004). New Applications of Knowledge Organization Systems: introduction to a special issue.
Last updated: 2019 -03-11
1. Call for presentations and demos
An NKOS Workshop will take place on Thursday, September 26, 2019 as part of DCMI 2019 Conference at the Korean National Library in Seoul.
Check the full Call for presentations and demos
Submission deadline: Friday, May 31, 2019
Notification of acceptance: Friday, June 28, 2019
2. NKOS (European) Workshops archive (2000 - ) is now on Github at https://nkos-eu.github.io/
3. Special Issue of the International Journal on Digital Libraries on NKOS
Golub, K., Schmiede, R. & Tudhope, D. (2018). Recent applications of Knowledge Organization Systems: introduction to a special issue. Int J Digit Libr. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00799-018-0264-8
4. NKOS Workshop held at ICADL 2018, Nov. 21, 2018
Metadata Modeling, Deep Image Annotation, and KOS Vocabulary Development for Digital Collections of Cultural Objects - NKOS Workshop at ICADL 2018, the 20th International Conference on Asia-Pacific Digital Libraries. Nov. 19-22, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
5. Full paper and presentation PPTs of the 18th NKOS Workshop at TPDL/DC 2018 available
The joint Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) Workshop was held as part of TPDL 2018 and DC-2018, at Porto, Portugal.
NKOS Dublin Core Application Profile (NKOS AP)
NKOS Dublin Core Application Profile (version 0.2) 2015-09
The DCMI/NKOS Task Group targets to develop a Dublin Core Application Profile for KOS resources based on the work the NKOS group members have already done during the last decade. The application profile will be further tested by professionals and researchers.
- Task Group official webpage: http://dublincore.org/groups/nkos/
Working wiki archive: https://github.com/dcmi/repository/tree/master/wikis_pre2016/nkos/mediawiki
- NKOS Dublin Core Application Profile (version 0.2) | Namespace: http://w3id.org/nkos
- NKOS Types Vocabulary
KOS Registries, Terminology Services, and Standard Development
- BARTOC.org | Basel Register of Thesauri, Ontologies & Classifications, developed by Basel University Library, Switzerland, 2013 --
- Linked Open Vocabularies (LOV) | Provides a choice of several hundreds of LOD vocabularies, based on quality requirements including URI stability and availability on the Web, use of standard formats and publication best practices, quality metadata and documentation, identifiable and trustable publication body, proper versioning policy. 2011 --
- BioPortal | the world's most comprehensive repository of biomedical ontologies
- FINTO | a Finnish thesaurus and ontology service, which enables both the publication and browsing of vocabularies. | Wiki about thesauri and ontology
- Heritage Data | Linked Data Vocabularies for Cultural Heritage
- Library of Congress Linked Data Services – Authorities and Vocabularies
- EU Vocabularies | Access to vocabularies managed by the EU institutions and bodies. This includes controlled vocabularies, schemas, ontologies, data models, etc.
- Getty Vocabularies LOD | Provides multiple Getty vocabularies, (AAT, TGN, and ULAN), with a comprehensive list of query templates and documentation.
- Metadata Registry | The Registry provides a means for to identify, declare and publish through registration their metadata schemas (element/property sets), schemes (controlled vocabularies) and Application Profiles (APs).
- OCLC Terminologies Service (retired November 20,2015)
Provides access to multiple controlled vocabularies
- STAR (Semantic Technologies for Archaeological Resources)
Semantic terminology services
- TRSS (Terminology Registry Scoping Study)
- ISO 25964. Thesauri and interoperability with other vocabularies.
Part 1: Thesauri for information retrieval (Published December 2011)
Part 2: Interoperability with other vocabularies (Published March 2013)
- Download XML schema and data model: http://www.niso.org/schemas/iso25964/
- Related article: "From ISO 2788 to ISO 25964: the evolution of thesaurus standards towards interoperability and data modeling". Information Standards Quarterly, 2012 Winter 24(1):20-26. PDF
- ISO 25964 SKOS extension (iso-thes) 2015 http://purl.org/iso25964/skos-thes
- Asset Description Metadata Schema (ADMS) Namespace Document 25 May 2012, W3C
The Asset Description Metadata Schema (ADMS) is a metadata vocabulary to describe semantic interoperability assets (such as data dictionaries, data models, code lists, XML schemas and RDF models) . Full specification: http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms/description Namespace Doc: http://www.w3.org/ns/adms
- NKOS (European) Workshops archive (2000 - ) https://nkos-eu.github.io/
- Special Issues of the International Journal on Digital Libraries
- Golub, K., Schmiede, R. & Tudhope, D. (2018). Recent applications of Knowledge Organization Systems: Introduction to a special issue. doi.org/10.1007/s00799-018-0264-8
- Mayr, P., Tudhope, D., Clarke, S. D., Zeng, M. L., & Lin, X. (2015). Recent applications of Knowledge Organization Systems: introduction to a special issue. International Journal on Digital Libraries. doi:10.1007/s00799-015-0167-x
- Proceedings online
- The 17th European NKOS workshop, 21st September 2017, TPDL2017 Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- The joint Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) Workshop, TPDL 2018 and DC-2018, Porto, Portugal.
- NISO TR-06-2017, Issues in Vocabulary Management.
- Special Issue of JLIS: Knowledge Organization and Cultural Heritage in the Semantic Web.
Report: DHQ: Digital Humanities Quarterly 2018. Vol.12: 2.
- ISO 25964 – the international standard for thesauri and interoperability with other vocabularies.
official website for information about ISO 25964 | Data Model | XML schema for data exchange | the ISO 25964 Schema webpage
| a set of correspondences between components of the data models of ISO25964, SKOS-XL, and MADS/RDF.
| ISO 25964 SKOS extension (iso-thes)
- JISC Terminology Registry Scoping Study (TRSS) report. The report is published on JISC's TRSS project webpage. http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/programmes/sharedservices/trss-report-final.pdf
- STERNA (Semantic Web-based Thematic European Reference Network Application) Technology Watch Report (2009-01): http://www.salzburgresearch.at/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/sterna_tech_watch_report_layoutiert_web.pdf
- "What is Knowledge Organization", a special issue of Knowledge Organization, Vol. 35 (2008) No.2-3. See Preface and Table-of-Contents (Kind permission of Ergon-Verlag)
- JISC state-of-the-art review "Terminology Services and Technologies" (2006): http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/terminology/JISC-review2006.html
- Special Issue: Knowledge Organization Systems and Services (Volume 12 Issue 1 2006) -- Available through New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia (NRHM) homepage at: http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tham20/12/1
- ARIST chapter: "Semantics and Knowledge Organization" by Birger Hjørland, Royal School of Library and Information Science, Copenhagen, Denmark. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology (ARIST), Volume 41 (2007) [pdf]
- Knowledge Organization (ISSN 0943-7444), the official quarterly journal of ISKO (International Society for Knowledge Organization). http://www.isko.org/ko.html
- ANSI/NISO Z39.19 - 2005 Guidelines for the Construction, Format, and Management of Monolingual Controlled Vocabularies. ISBN: 1-880124-65-3. [pdf]
- Special issue of Journal of Digital Information (JoDI) on New Applications of Knowledge Organization Systems (Volume 4, issue 4, March 2004), Editors: Douglas Tudhope and Traugott Koch. http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/issue/view/20
- Special issue of Journal of Digital Information (JoDI) on the theme of Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (Volume 1, issue 8, April 2001), Editor: Traugott Koch. http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/issue/view/8
US NKOS Workshops (held in USA; see also European NKOS Workshops at next section)
- The 11th U.S. NKOS Workshop. October 28, 2017. as part of DC-2017 in Crystal City, VA (Washington, D.C.). [Program ] [Presentations]
- The 10th NKOS Workshop, "Semantic Search: Magnet for the Needle in the Search Haystack", a Joint NKOS-CENDI Workshop, December 6, 2012, DOT Media Center, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington DC.
- The 9th NKOS Workshop, "Knowledge Organization Systems: Managing Toward the Future", a Joint CENDI/NKOS Workshop, October 22, 2009, The National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD.
- The 8th NKOS Workshop "New Dimensions in Knowledge Organization Systems", a Joint NKOS/CENDI Workshop, September 11, 2008, The World Bank, Washington, DC.
- The 7th NKOS workshop "Next Generation Knowledge Organization Systems: Integration Challenges and Strategies" at JCDL 2005 June 10 and 11, Denver.
- The 6th NKOS Workshop "Building a Meaningful Web: From Traditional Knowledge Organization Systems to New Semantic Tools" at 2003 Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), May 31, 2003, Houston, TX. Workshop summary by Dagobert Soergel (ppt) was presented at the ECDL02 NKOS Workshop.
- The 5th NKOS Workshop "Digital gazetteers Integration into distributed digital library services" at the 2002 Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, July 18th, Portland, Oregon. Workshop Summary (WORD file)
- The 4th NKOS Workshop "Classification Crosswalks: Bringing Communities Together" at the First ACM+IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) on June 28th, 2001 in Roanoke, VA.
- The 3rd NKOS Workshop at the 2000 ACM Digital Libraries Conference in San Antonio, Wednesday June 7th.
- The 2nd NKOS Workshop at the 1999 ACM Digital Libraries Conference in Berkeley, Saturday August 14th
- NKOS Workshops at the 1998 and 1997 ACM Digital Libraries Conferences: description of the workshop and notes from the workshop.
European NKOS archive (2000 - ) is on Github at https://nkos-eu.github.io/
- The 18th European NKOS Workshop at TPDL 2018 and DC-2018, Porto, Portugal, September 13, 2018. [Proceedings] [Presentations] [Paper + PPT]
- The 17th European NKOS workshop at TPDL 2017, Thessaloniki, Greece, September 21, 2017 [Proceedings]
- The 16th European NKOS Workshop at the International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications 2016 (DC-2016) . Saturday 15th October, 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- The 15th European NKOS Workshop In collaboration with the German ISKO, TPDL 2016 Conference, September 9, 2016, Hannover, Germany.
- The 14th European NKOS workshop at TPDL 2015, Poznan, Poland, September 18, 2015
- The 13th European NKOS Workshop at joint TPDL and ECDL 2014, London 11- 12, September 2014
- The 12th European NKOS Workshop at TPDL 2013, Valletta, Malta, September 26, 2013
- The 11th European NKOS workshop at TPDL2012, Paphos, Cyprus, September 27, 2012
- The 10th European NKOS Workshop at TPDL 2011, Berlin, Wednesday 28th afternoon and Thursday 29th morning, September, 2011
- The 9th European NKOS Workshop at ECDL2010 in Glasgow, Thursday 9th (start 2:30pm) – Friday 10th (finish 1.15pm) September 2010
- The 8th European NKOS Workshop at ECDL2009, the 13th ECDL Conference, Corfu, Greece, Thursday, October 1st 2009
- The 7th European NKOS Workshop at ECDL 2008 Aarhus, Denmark. September 19 or 20, 2008.
- The 6th European NKOS Workshop at ECDL 2007 September 21, Budapest, Hungary.
- The 5th European NKOS Workshop at ECDL2006 September 21, Alicante, Spain.
- The 4th European NKOS Workshop "Mapping Knowledge Organisation Systems: User-centred Strategies" at ECDL2005, September 22, Vienna. A report is published on D-Lib Magazine November 2005.
- The 3rd NKOS Workshop "User-centred approaches to Networked Knowledge Organization Systems/Services (NKOS)" at ECDL 2004, September 16, 2004, Bath, UK.
- The 2nd NKOS Workshop "Networked Knowledge Organization Systems/Services (NKOS): Evolving Standards" at ECDL 2003, August 21, 2003, Trondheim.
- NKOS Workshop "NKOS: European initiatives and projects / options for global co-operation" at the Fourth European Conference on Digital Libraries (ECDL2000), 18-20 September 2000, Lisbon, Portugal.
NKOS Workshops at DCMI International Conferences on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications
- The joint 18th European NKOS Workshop at TPDL 2018 and DC-2018, Porto, Portugal, September 13, 2018. (Also listed under European NKOS Workshops)
- The 16th European NKOS Workshop at DC-2016, October 15, 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark. (Also listed under European NKOS Workshops)
- NKOS Workshop at DC 2008, Berlin, Wed., September 24, 2008
The preliminary agenda is on the preparation wiki page.
- NKOS Special Session at DC-2005 "Enhancing the Understanding of Meaning: Practical Applications of Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS)" (September 13, 2005). Program
- Metadata Value Spaces, special session at DC2003, Seattle from Sept. 28 - Oct. 2, 2003.
ASIS&T Annual Meeting -- NKOS sessions
"If You Build It, Will They Come? – A Discussion of Use Cases and Barriers of Using the Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS) Available as Linked Open Data (LOD)" (abstract) -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T 2015
- Marcia Lei Zeng (Kent State University): New Functions of LOD KOS Beyond “Value Vocabularies” and Barriers in the Current Practices of Using Them (ppt)
- Marjorie Hlava (Access Innovations, Albuquerque): Implementing Linked Open Data in a Controlled Vocabulary (ppt)
- Joseph A. Busch (Taxonomy Strategies, Washington, DC): What’s Missing from SKOS, Why is It Missing, and What Should be Done About It? (ppt)
- Olga Buchel (Counting Opinions, Canada): Improving Usability of Geospatial LOD KOS with Map-based Visualizations (ppt)
- Maja Žumer (University of Ljubljana, Slovenia) moderator
"Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS) as Linked Data Services" (abstract) -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T 2014
- Joseph A Busch& Vivian Bliss (Taxonomy Strategies): Changing from a Hierarchical Classification to a Linked Data Standard: American Physical Society (APS) Taxonomy Case Study (ppt)
- Imma Subirats (FAO of UN) & Marcia Lei Zeng (Kent State University): Using KOS as the Connectors of Linked Datasets (ppt)
- Marjorie Hlava (Access Innovations): How about Linked data and triples - making them a reality (ppt)
"Maximizing the Usage of Value Vocabularies in the Linked Data Ecosystem" (abstract) -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T 2013
- Ed O’Neill & Jeff Mixter, (OCLC Research): (1) The Case for Faceting (2) FAST Linked Data Mechanics (ppt)
- Marcia Lei Zeng (Kent State University) & Maja Zumer (University of Ljubljana): Managing and Sharing KOS
through Registries and RDFa/microdata Using a Metadata Application Profile (ppt)
- Xia Lin (Drexel University): Meaningful Concept Displays for KOS--based Searching and Browsing
- [Joseph A Busch (Taxonomy Strategies)]::Evaluating Taxonomies (recorded ppt)
"Semantic Metadata as Linked Data Building Blocks" (abstract) -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T 2012
Joseph Busch, [Marjorie Hlava], Marcia Zeng and [Gail Hodge]
- Joseph Busch: Semantic Metadata, A Tale of Two Types of Vocabularies (ppt)
- Marcia Lei Zeng: The state of KOS in the Linked Data movement - The publishing, management, and interoperating of KOS for the Semantic Web. (ppt)
"Linked Data --Enabling Standards and Other Approaches" -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T- 2010
- Gail Hodge: Introduction. (ppt)
- Sam Oh: Linked Data and Identifiers. (ISO TC46/SC9 (Identification and Description activities updates; the second edition of Web Ontology Language (OWL2)) (ppt)
- Jon Phipps: SKOS: A W3C Recommendation. (ppt)
- Ed Summers: RDFa -- Linked Data on the Web We Have. (external link)
- Mark Needleman and Jody DeRidder: NISO I2 (Institutional Identifiers) (ppt)
- Marcia Zeng, Jon Phipps, and Ed Summers: Introducing W3C Library Linked Data Incubator Group (LLD XG) (ppt)
"Knowledge Organization: Evaluating Foundation and Function in the Information Ecosystem" -- Panel presentations at ASIS- 2010
- Marjorie Hlava: Introduction to the panel. (ppt)
- Hollie White: Framing NKOS Evaluation: HIVE’s Approach. (ppt)
- Denise A. D. Bedford: International Development Thesaurus – Moving Collaboration and Assessment Upstream (ppt)
- Gail Hodge, Information International Associates (IIa): Evaluating NKOS in the EPA Enterprise: Supporting Real Ecosystems (ppt)
Web Service-based Applications: Optimizing Indexing, Searching, and Terminology Services, ASIST 2008 (Link to program description).
- Rebecca Guenther. A Registry for controlled vocabularies at the Library of Congress (ppt)
- Diane Vizine-Goetz. OCLC Terminology Services beta: Architecture & Standards (link)
- Dongming Zhang. Developing a Webservice-based MeSH indexing Tool for Health Science Repository System (ppt)
Other NKOS Workshops and Sessions
- Metadata Modeling, Deep Image Annotation, and KOS Vocabulary Development for Digital Collections of Cultural Objects - NKOS Workshop at ICADL 2018, the 20th International Conference on Asia-Pacific Digital Libraries. Nov. 19-22, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Metadata Modeling and Knowledge Representation for Research Data, NKOS/DCMI workshop at ICADL 2016, the 18th International Conference on Asia-Pacific Digital Libraries. December 5-9, 2016, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan.
- Progress in NKOS, The First NKOS Workshop at ICADL
December 9, 2015, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
- The Challenge of the Electronic Environment to the Organization of Knowledge: The Second International Seminar on Subject Access to Information, Helsinki, Finland, 29-30 November 2007 | Program (pdf) with links to abstracts. http://www.terkko.helsinki.fi/STKS.KV.Ontologia%20Programme.261107.pdf
- NKOS Special Meeting at the NetLab conference, April 12, 2002, Lund University, Sweden
Discussion of standard developments regarding the use of thesauri, classification and other KO systems on the net .
- Digital Gazetteer Information Exchange (DGIE) workshop, funded by the NSF, October 1999. http://legacy.alexandria.ucsb.edu/gazetteer/dgie/DGIE_website/DGIE_homepage.htm
International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO) conferences
- ISKO international conferences since 1990
- ISKO national and regional conferences
- Link to a list of all past, current, and future KO-related events in the world.
- ISKO Encyclopedia of Knowledge Organization (IEKO)
International UDC Seminars
- International UDC Seminars are biennial conferences devoted to advances in documentary/bibliographic classification research and their application in a networked environment.
- Link to a list of all UDC Seminars
Archived early efforts (which led to the NKOS Dublin Core Application Profile)
- NKOS Draft Registry, Thesaurus Description Attributes
- Version 3 NKOS Draft Registry, with Reference Document for Data Elements - Draft, 14 June 2001
Taxonomy of Knowledge Organization Systems
Vocabulary Mark-up Language (Voc-ML)
Vocabulary ML: Metacode strawman DTD draft (developed in 2000, superseded by other activities such as SKOS and some of the ISO standards work on terminologies)
- The NKOS list is hosted by OCLC.
To send messages FOR DELIVERY TO THE WHOLE LIST, use http://listserv.oclc.org/archives/nkos-l.html or send to: NKOS-L@oclclists.org
To send your first message, you will need to get a new password:
1. Go to http://listserv.oclc.org/archives/nkos-l.html .
2. Request a new password.
3. From a confirmation email, click the confirmation link to confirm.
4. Go back to http://listserv.oclc.org/archives/nkos-l.html, choose "Post to the list".
5. Use the form to compose and send your message. You may attach files.
- Archive of NKOS discussion list messages from 6/2001 to 5/2007 has been hosted at DLI2 server
- All NKOS discussion list messages' archive is now hosted at OCLC. The owner is Diane Vizine-Goetz email@example.com
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Questions and suggestions should be sent to mzeng at kent dot edu