Networked Knowledge Organization
N K O S
NKOS is devoted to the discussion of the functional and data model for enabling knowledge organization systems/services (KOS), such as classification systems, thesauri, gazetteers, and ontologies, as networked interactive information services to support the description and retrieval of diverse information resources through the Internet.
Knowledge Organization Systems/Services (KOS) model the underlying semantic structure of a domain. Embodied as Web-based services, they can facilitate resource discovery and retrieval. They act as semantic road maps and make possible a common orientation by indexers and future users (whether human or machine). -- Douglas Tudhope, Traugott Koch, New Applications of Knowledge Organization Systems: introduction to a special issue,
Last updated: Oct.20, 2014
Call for Papers
Special Issue on Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS)
To be published in the International Journal on Digital Libraries by Springer
See full doc: Call for Papers
Important Dates Paper Submission deadline: January 5th, 2015; First notification: March 31st 2015; Revision submission: May31 st , 2015; Second notification: July 31st , 2015; Final vers ion submission: September 1st , 2015
- Philipp Mayr, GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, Germany (contact person)
- Douglas Tudhope, Hypermedia Research Unit, Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science, University of South Wales, UK
- Xia Lin, College of Computing and Informatics, Drexel University,Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
- Stella Dextre Clarke, Information Consultant and Chair, ISKO UK, Luke House, UK
- Marcia Lei Zeng, School of Library and Information Science, Kent State University, Ohio, USA
13th European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS) Workshop
To be held during the DL2014 Conference in London
Thursday 11th - Friday 12th September 2014
Program and presentation materials are available.
ASIS&T2014 Annual Meeting
Panel: Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS) as Linked Data Services (Presentations available now, see links below)
- Existing KOS products (including well-known thesauri and classification systems) need to be transformed into the constructs of Linked Data services, much more beyond what a traditional thesaurus or classification were/are developed, but how? What can these Linked Data KOS bring to various information services? The panelists will share their experiences and lessons learned. The presentation starts from the processes that have been developed to build, maintain, and publish a newly derived taxonomy using W3C SKOS standard, to make it extensible and scalable to support new information services in scholarly publishing workflow. The next presentation will share experiences and lessons learned from the implementation of a platform built for publishing and distribution of multiple KOS and for automatic indexing using these KOS. The third case is a Linked Data bibliographic service, a RDF-aware system and a mash up application which relies on the use of a multilingual thesaurus that has been published and maintained as a Linked Data dataset, and has been mapped to more than ten KOS. For the datasets that have not used standardized KOS, the panel will present methods that can be applied when generating or deriving project-focused micro-thesauri from the Linked Data KOS and give an overview of the use cases of Linked Data KOS in information services.
- Panelists and Presentations:
- Joseph A Busch& Vivian Bliss (Taxonomy Strategies): Changing from a Hierarchical Classification to a Linked Data Standard: American Physical Society (APS) Taxonomy Case Study (link to ppt)
- Imma Subirats (FAO of UN) & Marcia Lei Zeng (Kent State University): Using KOS as the Connectors of Linked Datasets (link to ppt)
- Marjorie Hlava (Access Innovations): How about Linked data and triples - making them a reality (link to ppt)
DCMI/NKOS Task Group
Projects of KOS Registries, Terminology Services, and Standard Development
- The NKOS list has been moved to OCLC.
To send messages FOR DELIVERY TO THE WHOLE LIST, use http://listserv.oclc.org/archives/nkos-l.html or send to: email@example.com
To send your first message, you will need to get a new password:
1. Go to http://listserv.oclc.org/archives/nkos-l.html .
2. Request a new password.
3. From a confirmation email, click the confirmation link to confirm.
4. Go back to http://listserv.oclc.org/archives/nkos-l.html, choose "Post to the list".
5. Use the form to compose and send your message. You may attach files.
- Archive of NKOS discussion list messages from 6/2001 to 5/2007 has been hosted at DLI2 server
- All NKOS discussion list messages' archive is now hosted at OCLC. The owner is Diane Vizine-Goetz firstname.lastname@example.org
- "What is Knowledge Organization", a special issue of Knowledge Organization, Vol. 35 (2008) No.2-3. See Preface and Table-of-Contents (Kind permission of Ergon-Verlag)
- JISC state-of-the-art review "Terminology Services and Technologies" (2006): http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/terminology/JISC-review2006.html
- Special Issue: Knowledge Organization Systems and Services (Volume 12 Issue 1 2006) -- Available through New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia (NRHM) homepage at: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~content=g749307486~db=all
- ARIST chapter: "Semantics and Knowledge Organization" by Birger Hjørland, Royal School of Library and Information Science, Copenhagen, Denmark. Annual Review of Information Science and Technology (ARIST), Volume 41 (2007)
- Knowledge Organization (ISSN 0943-7444), the official quarterly journal of ISKO (International Society for Knowledge Organization).
Table of contents: http://www.ergon-verlag.de/en/start.htm?information-_library_sciences_knowledge_organization_(journal).htm
- ANSI/NISO Z39.19 - 2005 Guidelines for the Construction, Format, and Management of Monolingual Controlled Vocabularies. ISBN: 1-880124-65-3. Search and download the standard at:
- Special issue of Journal of Digital Information (JoDI) on New Applications of Knowledge Organization Systems (Volume 4, issue 4, March 2004),
Editors: Douglas Tudhope and Traugott Koch. http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/issue/view/20
- Special issue of Journal of Digital Information (JoDI) on the theme of Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (Volume 1, issue 8, April 2001), Editor: Traugott Koch. http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/issue/view/8
Past Workshops and Special Meetings
US NKOS Workshops (see also ECDL/TPDL NKOS Workshops at next section)
- The 10th NKOS Workshop, "Semantic Search: Magnet for the Needle in the Search Haystack", a Joint NKOS-CENDI Workshop, December 6, 2012, DOT Media Center, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington DC.
- The 9th NKOS Workshop, "Knowledge Organization Systems: Managing Toward the Future", a Joint CENDI/NKOS Workshop, October 22, 2009, The National Agricultural Library, Beltsville, MD.
- The 8th NKOS Workshop "New Dimensions in Knowledge Organization Systems", a Joint NKOS/CENDI Workshop, September 11, 2008, The World Bank, Washington, DC.
- The 7th NKOS workshop "Next Generation Knowledge Organization Systems: Integration Challenges and Strategies" at JCDL 2005 June 10 and 11, Denver.
- The 6th NKOS Workshop "Building a Meaningful Web: From Traditional Knowledge Organization Systems to New Semantic Tools" at 2003 Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL), May 31, 2003, Houston, TX. Workshop summary by Dagobert Soergel (ppt) was presented at the ECDL02 NKOS Workshop.
- The 5th NKOS Workshop "Digital gazetteers
Integration into distributed digital library services" at the 2002 Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, July 18th, Portland, Oregon. Workshop Summary (WORD file)
- The 4th NKOS Workshop "Classification Crosswalks: Bringing Communities Together" at the First ACM+IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) on June 28th, 2001 in Roanoke, VA.
- The 3rd NKOS Workshop at the 2000 ACM Digital Libraries Conference in San Antonio, Wednesday June 7th.
- The 2nd NKOS Workshop at the 1999 ACM Digital Libraries Conference in Berkeley, Saturday August 14th
- NKOS Workshops at the 1998 and 1997 ACM Digital Libraries Conferences: description of the workshop and notes from the workshop.
European NKOS Workshops (see also US NKOS Workshops above )
- The 12th European NKOS Workshop at TPDL 2013, Valletta, Malta, September 26, 2013
- The 11th European NKOS workshop at TPDL2012, in Paphos, Cyprus, September 27, 2012
- The 10th European NKOS Workshop at TPDL 2011, Berlin, Wednesday 28th afternoon and Thursday 29th morning, September, 2011
- The 9th European NKOS Workshop at Ecdl2010 in Glasgow, Thursday 9th (start 2:30pm) – Friday 10th (finish 1.15pm) September 2010
- The 8th European NKOS Workshop at the 13th ECDL Conference, Corfu, Greece, Thursday, October 1st 2009
- The 7th European NKOS Workshop at ECDL 2008 Aarhus, Denmark. September 19 or 20, 2008.
- The 6th European NKOS Workshop Networked Knowledge Organization Systems and Services at ECDL 2007 September 21, Budapest, Hungary.
- The 5th European NKOS Workshop Networked Knowledge Organization Systems and Services at ECDL2006 September 21, Alicante, Spain.
- The 4th European NKOS Workshop "Mapping Knowledge Organisation Systems: User-centred Strategies" at ECDL2005, September 22, Vienna. A report is published on D-Lib Magazine November 2005.
- The 3rd NKOS Workshop at ECDL, September 16, 2004, Bath, UK "User-centred approaches to Networked Knowledge Organization Systems/Services (NKOS)".
- The 2nd NKOS Workshop "Networked Knowledge Organization Systems/Services (NKOS): Evolving Standards" at ECDL 2003, August 21, 2003, Trondheim.
- NKOS Workshop "NKOS: European initiatives and projects / options for global co-operation" at the Fourth European Conference on Digital Libraries (ECDL2000), 18-20 September 2000, Lisbon, Portugal.
International Society for Knowledge Organization (ISKO) conferences
- A special session “What role can KOS play in information retrieval applications?”
at the second biennial conference of the UK Chapter of ISKO (International Society for Knowledge Organization), ISKO-UK 2011 Conference, July 2011.
- Tenth International ISKO Conference, Montréal, Canada, August 5-8, 2008. Conference website: http://www.ebsi.umontreal.ca/isko2008/
Conference Theme: Culture and Identity in Knowledge Organization
- OCLC/ISKO-NA Preconference Workshop: “Everything Need Not Be Miscellaneous: Controlled Vocabularies and Classification in a Web World” (presentations)
- 9th ISKO International Conference, Vienna, Austria, July 4th-7th, 2006. The theme of the conference is: “Knowledge Organization for a Global Learning Society”. http://isko.univie.ac.at/cms2/index.php
NKOS Workshops at DCxx International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications
- NKOS Special Session at DC-2005 "Enhancing the Understanding of Meaning: Practical Applications of Networked Knowledge Organization Systems (NKOS)" (September 13, 2005). See details and presentation files
- DC2003, Seattle from Sept. 28 - Oct. 2, special session on Metadata Value Spaces. Traugott Koch presented Activities to advance the powerful use of vocabularies in the digital environment - Structured overview.
Other NKOS meetings and sessions
"Maximizing the Usage of Value Vocabularies in the Linked Data Ecosystem" (abstract) -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T 2013
- Ed O’Neill & Jeff Mixter, (OCLC Research): (1) The Case for Faceting (2) FAST Linked Data Mechanics (ppt)
- Marcia Lei Zeng (Kent State University) & Maja Zumer (University of Ljubljana): Managing and Sharing KOS
through Registries and RDFa/microdata Using a Metadata Application Profile (ppt in pdf)
- Xia Lin (Drexel University): Meaningful Concept Displays for KOS--based Searching and Browsing (ppt in pdf)
- [Joseph A Busch (Taxonomy Strategies)]::Evaluating Taxonomies (recorded ppt)
"Semantic Metadata as Linked Data Building Blocks" (abstract) -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T 2012
Joseph Busch, [Marjorie Hlava], Marcia Zeng and [Gail Hodge]
- Joseph Busch: Semantic Metadata, A Tale of Two Types of Vocabularies
- Marcia Lei Zeng: The state of KOS in the Linked Data movement - The publishing, management, and interoperating of KOS for the Semantic Web.
"Linked Data --Enabling Standards and Other Approaches" -- Panel presentations at ASIS&T- 2010
- Gail Hodge: Introduction.
- Sam Oh: Linked Data and Identifiers. (ISO TC46/SC9 (Identification and Description activities updates; the second edition of Web Ontology Language (OWL2))
- Jon Phipps: SKOS: A W3C Recommendation.
- Ed Summers: RDFa -- Linked Data on the Web We Have. (external link)
- Mark Needleman and Jody DeRidder: NISO I2 (Institutional Identifiers)
- Marcia Zeng, Jon Phipps, and Ed Summers: Introducing W3C Library Linked Data Incubator Group (LLD XG)
"Knowledge Organization: Evaluating Foundation and Function in the Information Ecosystem" -- Panel presentations at ASIS- 2010
- Marjorie Hlava: Introduction to the panel.
- Hollie White: Framing NKOS Evaluation: HIVE’s Approach.
- Denise A. D. Bedford: International Development Thesaurus – Moving Collaboration and Assessment Upstream
- Gail Hodge, Information International Associates (IIa): Evaluating NKOS in the EPA Enterprise: Supporting Real Ecosystems
Web Service-based Applications: Optimizing Indexing, Searching, and Terminology Services, ASIST 2008 (Link to program description).
. . Rebecca Guenther. A Registry for controlled vocabularies at the Library of Congress (ppt)
. . Diane Vizine-Goetz. OCLC Terminology Services beta: Architecture & Standards (link)
. . Dongming Zhang. Developing a Webservice-based MeSH indexing Tool for Health Science Repository System (ppt)
Taxonomy of Knowledge Organization Systems
Vocabulary Mark-up Language (Voc-ML)
Vocabulary ML: Metacode strawman DTD draft (developed in 2000, superseded by other activities such as SKOS and some of the ISO standards work on terminologies)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Questions and suggestions should be sent to mzeng at kent dot edu